Summer is almost over (believe it or not!) and soon fall will be rolling in. October is Fair Trade Month, and this year’s theme is “Be Fair”
We at Woodshed Roasting offer only Specialty Coffee from around the world. This is the top 20% of the crop. We have Certified Fair Trade Coffee, Certified Organic Coffee, Bird Friendly Coffee, Shade Grown Coffee, Rain Forest Alliance Coffee, Water Process Decaf Coffee, we also have flavored coffee's. We purchase the finest coffee available.
What is “Fair Trade”?
According to http://fairtradeusa.org/JoinFTM, Environmental standards integral to the Fair Trade criteria include:
· Protecting water resources and natural vegetation areas
· Promoting agricultural diversification, erosion control, and no slash and burn
· Restricting the use of pesticides and fertilizers
· Banning use of genetically modified organisms (GMOs)
· Requiring proper management of waste, water and energy
Fair Trade Principles are:
· Fair prices and credit: Democratically organized farming groups receive a guaranteed minimum floor price (or the market price if it’s higher) and an additional premium for certified organic products. Farming organizations are also eligible for pre-harvest credit.
· Fair labor conditions: Workers on Fair Trade farms enjoy freedom of association, safe working conditions and sustainable wages. Forced child and slave labor are strictly prohibited.
· Direct trade: With Fair Trade, importers purchase from Fair Trade producer groups as directly as possible to eliminate unnecessary middlemen and empower farmers to develop the business capacity necessary to compete in the global marketplace.
· Democratic and transparent organizations: Fair Trade farmers and workers decide democratically how to invest Fair Trade premiums, which are funds for community development.
· Community development: Fair Trade farmers and farm workers invest Fair Trade premiums in social and business development projects like scholarships, schools, quality improvement and leadership training, and organic certification.
· Environmental sustainability: Harmful agrochemicals and GMOs are strictly prohibited in favor of environmentally sustainable farming methods that protect farmers’ health and preserve valuable ecosystems for future generations.
Browse the website, go to our online store and enjoy!!
If you have questions please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 603-737-2000.